Dota 2 is gaining popularity at a tremendous pace. The prize pools of tournaments are growing, the number of players and cybersport organizations is growing. Matches of top professional teams in DotA are often watched by more people than football derbies. But it is not surprising. Let’s see what is so attractive in this game. Although calling Dota 2 just a game at this stage of its development is already wrong. Dota is something more.
Immediately, we note that Dota 2 is not the easiest to understand game. This is her charm. It will be difficult for a beginner to get comfortable, but the more he finds out and discovers for himself, the more he will be attracted to the in-game world. So, a team of 5 people, where each player controls his hero, fights against 5 enemy characters. The main goal of the game is to destroy the main enemy building “Tron”.
The Dota 2 card consists of 3 lines (corridors) along which creeps move towards each other. At the beginning of the game, the characters are distributed along the lines and oppose the enemy characters.
In Dota 2 there are more than 100 unique characters. Each hero has certain abilities that improve with level. Immediately you can imagine the diversity of bundles of characters that complement each other, combinations of spells and tactical schemes of the game. Yes, Dota 2 is one of the few computer games where the outcome decides not only the speed of reaction, but also tactical ideas. In a competitive Dota, it is the tactics and the correctly chosen peak of heroes (a set of 5 heroes that the team plays a match with) that determines the outcome of the meeting. To view a match as a spectator you do not need to know all the wisdom. The pleasure will be received in any case! One has only to try.
Do you watch Dota match for the first time? The abundance of unfamiliar words will somewhat complicate the understanding of what is happening. Below is a small dictionary that will help you understand the essence of the game.
- Aegis (AegisoftheImmortal) is an item falling out of Roshan after his death. Returns its owner to life with a full stock of mana and health after his death.
- Blink (Blink) – instantaneous movement from one point of the map to another (jump with a certain distance).
- Wards (Wards) -the items set by the player on the ground. Give an overview, allow you to monitor the movements of the enemy.
- Ganges (Gank) – active actions aimed at the unexpected killing of an enemy hero.
- Dust – used item; allows you to manifest nearby invisible enemies.
- Cd, Cooldown – the recharge time ability of the subject.
- Creeps – computer-controlled creatures. They are allied, enemy, and neutral.
- Mana, MP (Mana points) – a unit of measurement of magical energy required for the use of objects, abilities.
- Roshan is an extremely strong neutral unit. The reward for his murder is receiving Aegis.
- Stun – a spell that stuns (disables) a hero, a creep for a specific time.
- Farm (Farming) – targeted killing of enemy and neutral creeps to earn experience and gold.
- Fb (First blood) – the first murder of the hero in the game.
- HP (Hit points) – a unit of measure for the life of a character, creep, building.
In about 2 years, Dota has evolved from a popular game into a popular cyber discipline attractive to sponsors. The prize pools of tournaments are getting bigger. The number of viewers around the world is increasing. At the time of the main tournament of the year, The International 5 in many cities organized sites for viewing matches.
In China, things have gone much further. A special association has been created and is functioning there that regulates the relationship of professional players, tournament organizers, etc. (Association of Chinese e-Sports). Certainly this is not enough now Europe and America. One can only hope that such an organization will appear and lead e-Sports to a new level.
One of the problems is also the fact that the majority of older people adhere to traditional views on computer games. This does not allow them to consider any kind of toy there, as something serious – a kind of sport, albeit with a cyber prefix. Fortunately, the situation is gradually changing. We would not be surprised if in a year or two in all countries of the world you can watch the Dota match on TV. At the moment there are studios (abroad and in the CIS-space) professionally covering the main events and tournaments of Dota 2. The situation does not stand still. Moreover, it is confidently moving forward and this can’t but rejoice the entire Dota community.